This vegan delicata squash salad is a fall harvest salad made with fresh kale, roasted squash and sweet potatoes, apples, and an easy tahini dressing.
Each fall, when the weather begins to change and pumpkin spice foods begin to line the grocery store shelves, I watch the produce section.
I’m on the lookout for winter squash.
When the squash arrive, I almost inevitably buy more than I intended. I never realize just how many squash I’m buying until I start loading them into the car.
Happily, winter squash store well, and we can enjoy them all winter long.
If you follow along with my Instagram stories, you’ve probably seen my squash enthusiasm.
But guys, there’s another winter squash that I think is absolutely fabulous.
Compared with other winter squash, it’s easy to cut through, cooks quickly, and has a thin, edible skin.
I love this cute little squash.
Roasted delicata squash is a fabulous veggie side dish, but sometimes I want this fun squash to be the star of the meal.
This delicata squash salad is a hearty fall dish packed with nutritious raw kale, roasted squash and sweet potatoes, sweet, crisp apple, and an easy tahini dressing.
Where to Get Delicata Squash
I usually buy mine at Trader Joe’s.
Otherwise, check the grocery store nearest you with the best produce selection (such as Whole Foods), or visit a farmer’s market.
You can also grow your own delicata squash.
How to Prepare Delicata Squash
There’s no need to peel delicata squash.
Instead, simply rinse the squash to get rid of any dirt.
Cut the squash length-wise, and then scoop out any seeds and membrane.
Next, thinly slice the squash into half moons.
Roast the Squash + Sweet Potatoes
Add the squash, some sliced sweet potato, and olive oil to a bowl. Add paprika, sea salt, and a dash of cayenne.
Toss it all together.
Lay the veggies in a single layer on a sheet pan, and then roast them until the veggies are tender.
Assemble the Delicata Squash Salad
While the squash and potatoes roast, get everything else ready.
Start by massaging some kale until it’s tender. That just means that you’ll rub it with your hands until it doesn’t feel hard and stiff.
Whisk together the tahini dressing ingredients, and toss a little bit of the dressing with the kale.
Kale salads taste better when there is dressing on each leaf.
Thinly slice an apple. I like to use Honeycrisp apples in this salad, but any sweet apple will work well.
When the squash and sweet potatoes are done cooking, begin arranging the salad.
I like to add the apples, squash, and sweet potatoes in sections (because it looks pretty!), but you could also simply toss all the ingredients together.
Drizzle the rest of the dressing over the salad, and serve it right away!
Delicata Squash Salad
Delicata Squash Salad:
- 1 delicata squash (~1lb)
- 1 medium sweet potato (~10oz)
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika or smoked paprika
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 4 oz kale, destemmed + roughly chopped
- 1 apple, thinly sliced Use a sweet apple, such as Honeycrisp, Gala, or Fuji
- 2 TB olive oil (1 oz)
- 2 TB tahini (1 oz)
- 3 TB apple cider vinegar (1 ½ oz)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp cold water
- Preheat oven to 400°F.Cut delicata squash in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and membrane.Slice the squash into ¼" half moons.Slice the sweet potato into ½" slices.
- Add the squash and sweet potato to a large bowl and toss with olive oil, paprika, salt, and cayenne.Place the squash and sweet potato on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roast the squash and sweet potatoes for 20 minutes. Flip, and roast 5-6 more minutes, or until the veggies are tender.
- While the veggies roast, massage the kale for a minute or two until it softens.Whisk together all the tahini dressing ingredients together, and then toss the kale in about ¼ of the dressing.Thinly slice the apple.
- Arrange the veggies and apple slices on the kale, and drizzle the remaining dressing on top. (Alternatively, serve the remaining dressing on the side.)