This vegan Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad is made with pan-seared brussels sprouts, almonds, dried cranberries, and a quick and easy maple vinaigrette.
Here’s something I never thought I’d say:
I love brussels sprouts.
I’ve gone from totally despising these green little veggies, to being head over heels for them. What changed?
First of all, I had to admit that I had a brussels sprouts problem. Brussels sprouts are bitter. And bitter is not one of my favorite flavor profiles.
And so, I tackled them again– armed with a plan. A plan to maximize their sweet potential, and tame the bitter beast.
This easy Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad is a quick and easy side dish, and can be served warm or cold!
How to Make Brussels Sprouts Sweeter
First, make sure to cook them in a way that caramelizes the sprouts. Oven-roasting is one option, but here we’re pan-searing them.
Cooking them over high-heat brings out the sugars inside the brussels sprouts, and makes them a little sweeter.
Second, dress them with both a sweet flavor and an acidic flavor. Here, we’re using maple syrup to add a touch of sweetness, and apple cider vinegar to brighten the flavors a little.
How to Shave Brussels Sprouts
My favorite way to shave brussels sprouts is with a chef’s knife. One at a time, trim of the woody ends, and then thinly slice them.
If you want, you can also peel off a few of the outer leaves and leave them whole.
Another option is to use a slicing attachment on a food processor.
Can I Skip the Almonds?
Can I Skip the Cranberries?
This salad is also delicious without dried cranberries. I like to swap in raisins, chopped dried dates, or dried cherries.
Can I Make this Salad Ahead of Time?
Yes– sort of. I don’t recommend making it a full day ahead of time. The flavor of the sprouts becomes a little stronger, and it’s not quite as delicious.
That said, you can definitely make it a few hours before serving. Check the recipe card for the make-ahead directions.
Want more VEGETABLE SIDE DISHES? Try these:
- Oven-Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apple Cider Vinegar
- Garlic Cauliflower Mash
- Oven-Roasted Broccoli with Chili Flakes
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
No, But Can Be Partially Prepared Ahead of Time
- 1 lb brussels sprouts
- 2 TB olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 cup chopped almonds OR salted pepita seeds
- 1/8 cup dried cranberries
- Heat 1 TB olive oil on medium heat in a large heavy pan (such as cast iron).Note: If using a medium-sized pan, you may need to work in 2 batches.
- While the pan gets hot, thinly slice the brussels sprouts. Whisk together the remaining olive oil, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, and sea salt.
- Add the shaved sprouts to the hot pan, and allow them to cook 3-4 minutes until lightly charred. Stir the sprouts periodically with a metal spatula while they cook. Remove sprouts from pan.
- Serve immediately: Add warm sprouts to a serving bowl with the almonds, cranberries, and dressing. Toss salad and serve.Make Ahead: Add the sprouts, almonds, and cranberries to a serving bowl. Store for up to 3 hours in the fridge. Toss the dressing with the salad right before serving.