This vegan roasted brussels sprouts salad is tossed with persimmons, pecans, and a maple vinaigrette for an easy and delicious fall harvest salad.
It’s easy to be sad that summer has ended.
It’s easy to mourn the end of our gardens– especially for those of us who haven’t leapt into cold weather gardening, and to feel that all the good produce is gone until the sun warms the earth again.
But the truth is– fall produce is glorious.
Fall and winter mean hearty bitter greens like brussels sprouts and kale are in season, and it also brings citrus, winter squash, and a whole handful of underappreciated winter fruit.
In this salad, we’re tossing together a roasted brussels sprouts salad with one of the prettiest winter fruit– the persimmon.
Want more brussels sprouts ideas? Try this brussels sprouts gratin, roasted brussels sprouts with apple cider vinegar, honey balsamic brussels sprouts, and a shaved brussels sprouts salad or a raw brussels sprouts salad with tahini dressing.
Shopping for Brussels Sprouts
Usually I buy brussels sprouts in perfectly portioned 1 lb. bags. But when brussels sprouts are in peak season– you’ll sometimes find them on the stalk.
If you can find them on the stalk– grab them! Yes, you will need to pop each sprout off the stalk, but you’ll get a nice range of sprout sizes.
Plus, the sprouts will be extra fresh, and you don’t need to worry about the sulphuric scent they can develop in the bag as they age.
If you open a bag of sprouts, and they stink, stink, stink like Sulphur– they’re old sprouts.
How Do I Get Brussels Sprouts Off the Stalk?
It’s easy! Simply grab hold of a sprout, twist it back and forth, and it’ll pop right off!
Roasted Brussels Sprouts Salad with Persimmon
For this salad, you’ll roast the sprouts, warm the fruit, add the nuts, and toss the dressing over the greens.
Dig in immediately, and enjoy fall produce at its finest!
Want more FALL + WINTER PRODUCE ideas? Try these:
- Roasted Delicata Squash with Lemon Tahini Sauce
- Garlic Cauliflower Mash
- Slow Cooker Oatmeal with Winter Fruit
- Persimmons + Watercress Salad from My Kitchen Love
Roasted Brussels Sprouts Salad with Persimmons
No, But Can Be Partially Prepared Ahead of Time
Roasted Brussels Sprouts Salad:
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, quartered
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 persimmons, halved + thinly sliced (small pit removed)
- ⅛ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ⅛ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoons sea salt
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Arrange brussels sprouts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle oil over the sprouts, and then evenly sprinkle salt and chili flakes.
- Roast 16-18 minutes, until the edges darken and caramelize. Add cooked brussels sprouts to a large mixing bowl.
- For hard, not fully ripe persimmons: Turn on the oven broiler. Arrange the persimmon slices on the baking sheet. Broil about 2 minutes, until warm. For soft, ripe persimmons: Skip broiling and add to the salad uncooked.
- Add persimmons to the bowl with the sprouts. Add the pecans.
- Whisk together all the maple vinaigrette ingredients. Toss the salad in the dressing, and serve immediately.
- Make Ahead: For a cold salad, make up to 3 hours ahead of time. Wait to dress the salad until right before serving.