This healthy vegan Kale Apple Salad is quick, easy, and delicious. Serve it as a side dish, or add a protein to make it the main dish!
Over the past year, I’ve been on a mission to embrace bitter foods– especially bitter greens.
They aren’t something I naturally love, but after listening to a podcast episode all about bitter foods, I was inspired to try, try again to love these unloved foods.
And so– the husband and I have been slowly adding more and more of these extra healthy greens into our diet.
We’ve fully embraced the bitter brussels sprout— and then moved on to kale.
This raw kale apple salad has become a staple in our home– in part because it’s just so fast and easy.
How to Eat Raw Kale
Raw kale can be tough to chew and extremely bitter.
Massaging the kale— or rubbing it with your hands for a few minutes– transforms the kale so that it’s more tender, less bitter, and all kinds of awesome.
Can I Use Bagged Kale?
Normally I’d recommend buying kale still on the stalk, because it will stay fresh longer. BUT– if you’re in a hurry, and don’t want to prep the kale, or if you can’t find kale on the stalk– the bagged kind is a great option.
Just make sure to rinse it well, and try to use the kale quickly.
Can I Make This Kale Apple Salad a Main Dish?
Absolutely. I serve it as the main meal on a regular basis.
Simply add a protein. Here are some ideas:
- Seared salmon (learn How to Pan-Sear Fish here)
- (vegan) Crispy roasted potatoes from Delicious Everyday
- Roasted parmesan chickpeas from Peas + Crayons
- (vegan) Sweet + Spicy Sriracha Tofu from Peas + Crayons
Kale Apple Salad
- 1/4 lb kale, destemmed + roughly chopped about 4 large handfuls of kale
- 2 apples, cored + chopped
- 1/8 cup pepitas or sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1 TB dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Massage kale (rub with hands) about 2 minutes, or until the leaves soften and turn a brighter green.
- Add apples and seeds, and then toss with the dressing. Serve immediately.