These easy vegetarian black bean nachos are made with tortilla chips, cheese, black beans, and a quick garlic yogurt sauce. Perfect for a quick dinner or game day!
Like many of you, both my husband and I are currently working from home.
That means I’m cooking even more than I already did, especially since our take-out and delivery options here are limited.
And I do not have a dishwasher!
Easy, quick meals with minimal cleanup seem more attractive than ever.
These vegetarian black bean nachos are an indoor twist on my campfire nachos, and are ready in less than 20 minutes.
Can I Use Pre-Shredded Cheese?
Of course you can.
Just keep in mind that pre-shredded cheese doesn’t melt as quickly as freshly shredded cheese, so you’ll need to cook the nachos a little longer if you use a bag of store-bought shredded cheese.
Check the recipe card for timing estimates.
How to Make Black Bean Nachos
First, arrange a layer of tortilla chips in an oven-safe pan or on a sheet pan. I like to use this Lodge 12″ carbon steel skillet.
Top the chips with freshly shredded cheese.
To take these nachos from a tasty (but not very filling) side dish to the main course, I like to add black beans.
That was probably obvious.
It’s also a good idea to pile lots and lots of toppings onto the nachos, not just the beans and cheese.
My favorite toppings are pickled jalapeños, diced avocados, black olives, and green onions. And if tomatoes are in season, I pile a bunch of them onto the chips.
Slide the pan into the oven until the cheese melts. Since cheese melts extra-fast, these black bean nachos will be ready to devour in just a few minutes.
Once the cheese seems melted, pull the pan out of the oven.
Black Bean Nachos
- 8 oz tortilla chips (Half of a 16oz bag)
- 6 oz pepperjack or Monterey Jack cheese, freshly grated Use more if desired
- 14 oz can black beans, drained Or use pinto beans
- 2 oz sliced black olives (Half of a 4oz can)
- 1 tomato, diced (optional) Skip if out of season
- 1 avocado, diced
- ⅛ cup pickled jalapeños
- 2 green onions, finely diced (green tops only)
Garlic Sauce (Optional):
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ lemon, juiced
Extra Toppings (Optional):
- hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°F.Add chips to a large oven-safe pan or sheet pan.Top with the cheese.
- Add the remaining nacho toppings. (Don't add the yogurt sauce, hot sauce, or salsa yet.)
- Slide the pan into the oven and cook nachos for about 8 minutes, or until the cheese melts.If you're using pre-grated cheese, it will take longer to melt (about 15 minutes). Add the garlic sauce and any additional toppings, and serve immediately.