This lemon spinach pasta is made with spaghetti, lemon, and fresh spinach tossed with buttery toasted almonds and breadcrumbs.
Fall is finally here, and it’s time to bring back the dark, leafy greens!
Kale and spinach are back in season, and I couldn’t be happier about it.
But guys, it’s rainy today.
Rainy days need comfort food, like this lemon spinach pasta. This pasta is a rich, comforting meal that comes together quickly.
Follow along with my Instagram stories to see what else I make with kale and spinach!
Can I Use Gluten-Free Pasta?
You sure can!
Just use your favorite gluten-free spaghetti.
Can I Use Frozen or Canned Spinach?
Neither will taste quite as… well, fresh as fresh spinach, but either would work in this recipe.
How to Make Lemon Spinach Pasta
Start by bringing a large pot of salted water to a boil.
While it’s heating up, toast the almonds and breadcrumbs.
Toast the Almonds
Melt butter in a large pan and then add the almond slivers.
Raw almond slivers are best here, because they haven’t been previously toasted.
Cook the almonds for just a couple of minutes until they turn golden.
Toast the Breadcrumbs
Scoop the almonds out of the pan and leave the butter behind.
Add breadcrumbs to the butter and cook until they’re golden. Take the breadcrumbs out of the pan.
Make the Lemon Spinach Pasta
Next, add a little olive oil and garlic to the pan.
When the garlic begins to sizzle, add the spinach. Drizzle the lemon juice over the spinach and cover the pan.
Cover the pan and let the spinach begin to wilt.
When the pasta is ready, move it straight into the spinach.
Toss everything together.
Finally, add some lemon zest and the toasted almonds and breadcrumbs.
Toss, toss, toss!
Serve this pasta with a little Parmesan cheese and a glass of crisp hard cider.
Lemon Spinach Pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup raw almond slivers
- ½ cup breadcrumbs (unseasoned) Use gluten-free breadcrumbs if needed
- ½ pound spaghetti Use gluten-free spaghetti if needed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 4 ounces fresh spinach
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Once the water reaches a rolling boil, add the spaghetti.Boil until al dente (about 6 minutes). Reserve 1 cup of pasta water, and remove pasta from the heat.
Make the Lemon Spinach Pasta:
- In a large shallow pan, melt the butter over medium-low heat.When the butter is melted (but not browned) add the almonds and cook until the nuts are golden (2-3 minutes). Scoop the almonds out of the butter and set aside.
- Add the breadcrumbs to the butter and cook 2-3 minutes until toasted (still on medium-low).Remove the breadcrumbs and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to the pan. Keep heat at medium-low.Add the garlic. When the garlic begins to sizzle, add the spinach. Squeeze the lemon juice over the spinach and cover the pan. The spinach will begin to wilt.
- Add the pasta to the spinach and toss to incorporate. If the sauce seems dry, add a splash of the reserved pasta water. (I usually add at least one splash of pasta water, sometimes two, when cooking this meal.)Tip: If you forgot to reserve pasta water, add a splash of white wine to the sauce instead (not tap water).
- Add the lemon zest, along with the reserved almonds and breadcrumbs to the pasta, and toss again.Serve immediately, making sure to evenly distribute the almonds and spinach when serving.