These easy air fryer kale chips are delicious, quick and easy! Make them at home in your Instant Pot Air Fryer for a healthy snack.
My friends and family have started to tease me about my kale chip addiction.
It’s probably because I keep making batch after batch, so whenever they talk to me I’m usually eating kale chips.
Yup that’s me, Facetiming with a bowl of crispy veggies. You’re welcome world.
I can’t help myself, because they’re so goooood.
My kale chip adventure started in the oven with these baked kale chips. If you don’t have an air fryer yet, click over to other post for oven directions.
More recently, however, I’ve discovered air fryer kale chips, and haven’t looked back.
This recipe is written for the Instant Pot Air Fryer Lid (an attachment for my 6-quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7-in-1). If you’re using a different air fryer you might need to adjust the recipe slightly for your machine.
Why Use an Air Fryer Instead of the Oven?
I love making kale chips in an air fryer because the chips are less greasy, the air fryer kale chips cook faster than oven kale chips, and the air fryer basket is easier to clean than the baking sheets.
How to Prepare the Kale
If you’re using full leaves of kale, start by cutting out the tough ribs. Next, roughly chop the kale.
Another option is to buy pre-chopped bags of kale.
Rinse + Dry the Kale
Next, clean your kale.
If you can, use a salad spinner, because it’ll get the kale extra-dry. I love my OXO salad spinner.
If you don’t have a salad spinner, rinse the kale and lay it out on a towel. Pat it dry.
How to Make Air Fryer Kale Chips
Start by massaging the kale a little with your hands, and season it with oil, salt, and your favorite seasonings.
I recommend using Bragg’s nutritional yeast.
Add about half the kale to the air fryer basket.
Add the air fryer shelf.
Top with the remaining kale.
Next, add the air fryer lid.
Technically, you should pre-heat the air fryer lid, but since it heats up to 300-degrees pretty quickly, I often skip this step when making kale chips.
Set the temperature and time, and hit start.
When the air fryer beeps and tells you to turn your food, ignore it. Like a rebel.
When it stops cooking, open the lid and remove the kale chips.
If you like, add a little extra seasoning to your chips, and dig in while they’re still nice and warm!
Looking for more air fried veggie ideas? Try these crispy air fryer brussels sprouts from Carmyy!
Air Fryer Kale Chips
Basic Kale Chips
- ⅛ lb kale, stems removed + leaves roughly chopped
- ½ TB olive oil Or use your favorite oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
Seasonings (Mix + Match As Desired):
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- ⅛ tsp red chili flakes OR cayenne powder
- ½ tsp sesame seeds OR Everything But the Bagel seasoning
- ½ tsp Indian curry powder or smoked paprika
- Rinse kale and dry in a salad spinner. If you don't have a salad spinner, lay kale on a towel and pat dry.
- Preheat air fryer to 300°F.
- Add kale to a bowl. (I dry the salad spinner bowl and use that.)Toss kale with olive oil, and then sprinkle with salt and your seasoning of choice. Massage the kale with your hands to coat with the oil and seasoning.
- Add half the kale to the air fryer basket. Add the air fryer shelf, and top with the remaining kale.
- Put the air fryer lid in place, and air fry for 8 minutes at 300°F, or 9 minutes at 300°F for extra crispy chips.The Instant Pot Air Fryer Lid will beep halfway through the cook time and tell you to turn the food. For this recipe, you do not need to turn the kale.Check kale after 8 minutes. If it isn't crisp, air fry 1-2 more minutes.Note that not all air fryers alike, so the exact cook time for your air fryer model may vary.
- Serve chips immediately, or store in a loosely covered container at room temperature for 2-3 days.
Make sure to thoroughly dry the kale after rinsing. Try increasing the cook time by 1-2 minutes. I didn’t use enough seasoning + my kale chips are bland. Add more seasoning after baking, and remember next time to add more before baking. I like adding extra nutritional yeast after baking even when I added enough seasoning from the beginning!
Nutrition information assumes kale chips are seasoned with only oil, salt, and nutritional yeast.