This easy gluten-free and low-carb Cauliflower Broccoli Soup is made with puréed cauliflower, roasted broccoli, and a little cheese for a healthy, veggie-packed dish!
This recipe was inspired by a dinner fail.
That’s right– a few months ago, I was excited by ALL THINGS CAULIFLOWER. Roast the cauliflower, mash the cauliflower, DEVOUR the cauliflower!
And so, one night I decided to roast an entire cauliflower. (As in, the whole head, without breaking it into florets.) I’ve seen gorgeous photos of whole roasted cauliflower, and I wanted it in my life.
Except… it took FOREVER to cook. Really, so, so long.
And then, I realized that it was way too much cauliflower for two people, and I just wasn’t happy at all with the meal.
So I tossed the leftovers into the blender with a little milk and cheese… and voilà— it was DELICIOUS.
This recipe uses a cheesy, puréed cauliflower, and adds roasted broccoli for a healthier twist on broccoli cheese soup!
Can I Skip Roasting the Veggies for this Cauliflower Broccoli Soup?
Make sure to start by roasting the broccoli, cauliflower, and onion. Roasting will add more flavor to the veggies, and make the cauliflower easier to purée.
Do I Need a Blender?
Yes, for this soup you need a way to purée the cauliflower.
Can I Use an Immersion Blender Instead of a Standard Blender?
The recipe directions are for a standard blender, but you could also add the cauliflower, milk, and cheese to the soup pot and use an immersion blender.
My Vitamix® Cooks Soup. Can I skip the stovetop part?
Most Vitamix models (including the Vitamix 7500 that I use) are able to purée AND heat– which would let you cook the cauliflower broccoli soup within the blender.
For this soup, you could purée the cauliflower with the milk and cheese, add the spices, and follow your Vitamix directions to cook the soup. Stir in the broccoli after.
Keep in mind that the Vitamix will whip the cauliflower and create a foamy texture. I’ve found that this soup tastes better if you let it sit for at least 30 minutes after “cooking” in the Vitamix.
Want more CAULIFLOWER recipes? Try these:
Want more SOUP? Try these:
- Vegetarian French Onion Soup
- Vegan Split Pea Soup
- Pressure Cooker Creamy Cauliflower Soup from Peas and Crayons
Cauliflower Broccoli Soup
Makes 6 small cups of soup, or 4 bowls of soup.
- 1 cauliflower head (medium sized)
- 1 broccoli head or crown (medium sized)
- 1 red onion
- 2 TB olive oil
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- ½ cup gouda, parmesan, or cheddar- freshly shredded (Use preferred cheese or a mixture of all 3)
- 1 cup milk, plus more if desired
- 1 cup veggie broth
- 2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Break cauliflower and broccoli into florets. Peel and slice onion.
- Lay cauliflower, broccoli, and onion onto two baking sheets in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil, red pepper, and half the salt.
- Roast 13-15 minutes, until veggies are tender and beginning to blacken.
- Add cauliflower, milk, broth, and cheese to a blender basin, and blend until smooth. Add more milk if the mixture is too thick.
- Pour mixture into a soup pan, and cook over medium heat to warm. Add the Old Bay, and the remaining salt to taste.
- Meanwhile, dice broccoli into small, bite-size pieces. Reserve about ¼ cup of broccoli for a garnish, and add the remaining broccoli to the soup.
- When soup is hot, serve with reserved broccoli as a garnish.
- Leftovers: Store leftover soup in the fridge and use within 3-4 days.