These vegan-friendly Buffalo Cauliflower Wings are baked until crispy, and are perfect for Game Day as an easy and healthy appetizer!
Did you know there’s a football game on Sunday? Apparently, it’s kind of a big deal. For those of us who may be a little bit clueless on the football front– the Super Bowl, the biggest game of the year, is this Sunday.
This, of course, means that you just might find yourself at someone’s Super Bowl party. Whether you’re watching the game, or simply waiting for commercials and the halftime show, you’ll probably be eating.
Unfortunately, game day food isn’t known for being nutritious. With everyone chowing down on hot dogs, football-shaped cookies, and burgers, it might be difficult to find healthy food choices. The solution?
Bring something nutritious yourself! Then, you can be sure there will be at least one non-greasy, non-fried, non-sugary food choice available. These Game Day Buffalo Cauliflower Wings are the solution to your football food problems!
I admit, I was suspicious when I started seeing cauliflower as a substitute for potatoes and meat. It seemed like everyone was doing it, and cauliflower has never been one of my favorite vegetables. However, after making these little buffalo cauliflower bites a few times, I’ve changed my mind.
To make these easy cauliflower bites, whisk together a little flour, water, hot sauce, and honey (or agave syrup). Add the cauliflower to the mixture, and then strain out the coated cauliflower. Bake the veggies until they’re crisp, and serve them while they’re still hot with a dipping sauce.
I can’t promise that you’ll enjoy the football game, or that your team will win, but at least you’ll enjoy the food!
Quick Tip: For a traditional buffalo sauce taste, try Franks Red Hot sauce. I make mine with whatever hot sauce I’m currently in love with (right now it’s Cholula or Sriracha).
Want more GAME DAY recipe ideas?
- Vegan Sloppy Joes
- Albondigas de Pescado: Fish Meatballs
- A Canned Sardine Recipe: Mini Sardine Fish Cakes
Want more CAULIFLOWER? Try these:
Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- olive oil spray (or 1 TB for brushing on baking sheet)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup hot sauce Frank's (for a buffalo flavor), or your favorite hot sauce
- 1 tsp honey OR agave syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- To Serve: Blue Cheese (traditional or vegan)
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Line a baking sheet with foil, and spray or brush with olive oil.
- Cut your cauliflower into small bite-size pieces.
- Mix all ingredients except cauliflower in a large mixing bowl. Add cauliflower and toss. Remove cauliflower from bowl with a slotted spoon, and place on baking sheet in a single layer. Note: Depending on the size of your bowl, it might be easiest to add and remove the cauliflower in small batches.
- Roast 20-25 minutes. If you want them extra crispy, switch the oven to broil the last 5-10 minutes (but watch to make sure they don't burn).
- Drizzle more hot sauce over cauliflower. Serve hot with blue cheese dressing (or other preferred sauce).
Recipe adapted from: Food.com