This fresh and easy tomato corn salad is a perfect summer side dish! Simply toss together roasted corn, tomatoes, avocado, herbs, and an easy vinaigrette.
Growing up, my mom’s tomato corn salad was my favorite veggie dish.
I think it still is my favorite.
It’s fresh, yet comforting.
Light, but filling.
Garden fresh and healthy, and appealing enough that I can’t stop eating it.
Sometimes I make it and don’t share it– I simply devour the entire batch all by myself.
I have no regrets.
This tomato corn salad is a perfect way to use fresh summer produce like tomatoes, corn, and fresh herbs.
How to Cut Corn off the Cob
Corn on the cob is EASY-PEASY to cut off the cob.
Start by shucking the corn, and setting the cob flat on a cutting board.
Use a chef’s knife, and cut the kernels off lengthwise down the cob in one long stroke.
Rotate the cob, and repeat until all the corn is removed.
Can I Use Frozen or Canned Corn Instead?
You sure can!
I love making this salad with frozen or canned corn. Just be aware that the corn won’t brown as well in the pan as fresh corn does.
Can I Skip Pan-Searing the Corn?
Pan-searing the corn gives the corn an extra-sweet flavor-punch, but you can make a delicious tomato corn salad without searing it.
This recipe will work perfectly with steamed, microwaved, or grilled corn.
Shopping for a cast iron pan? I love this Lodge 12″ skillet.
Can I Skip the Cilantro in this Tomato Corn Salad?
My mom always makes her salad with cilantro, but I know some of you don’t like it!
When I’m out of cilantro, I swap other fresh herbs (my favorite is fresh basil), and it’s just as delicious.
Can I Make This Tomato Corn Salad Ahead of Time?
You can– mostly.
I recommend waiting until right before you serve it to add the dressing and the avocado.
Leftovers (if there are any!) will still be delicious the next day, but the avocado might brown a little.
Enjoy this easy salad all summer long!
Want more SUMMER SALAD ideas? Try this Watermelon Cucumber Salad from Girl Heart Food.
Tomato Corn Salad
No, But Can Be Partially Prepared Ahead of Time
Tomato Corn Salad:
- 4 ears of corn (~3 cups of corn kernels)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 green onions, diced
- 5 sprigs cilantro, removed from stems Substitute fresh basil if desired
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 lemon or lime, juiced Substitute ⅛ cup apple cider vinegar if desired
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon red chili flakes (optional)
- Shuck corn, and cut kernels off the cob.Tip: Place a chef's knife lengthwise along one side of the cob. Cut the kernels along that side off in one cut, and then rotate and repeat.
- Heat 1 TB oil over medium heat in a heavy-bottom pan. When the oil is hot, add the corn. Let the corn sear until it begins to brown, about 10 minutes. Remove corn from heat.
- While corn sears, add the remaining salad ingredients to a large bowl. Whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients.
- Add the corn to the salad, and toss with the dressing. Serve immediately.
- Everything except the avocado can be prepared up to one day ahead of time. Wait until serving to cut the avocado, and to add the dressing to the salad.