This vegan-friendly Salted Bourbon Chocolate Pie is made with chocolate, cream (or coconut cream), bourbon, and sea salt, is simple to put together, and is perfect for parties!
This Salted Bourbon Chocolate Pie will make you giggle, sigh with happiness, and is meant for sharing– so you’ll make new friends. You’re welcome.
(Did I sell that well enough? Do you not believe me? Keep reading…)
Guys, chocolate pie is kind of “my thing.” If I’m having a party– I am, most likely, making a chocolate pie.
If I’m having friends over for dinner, my first thought is, “How many times have I served them chocolate pie?”
Well for one thing, it’s delicious. For another, it’s easy.
And probably, most importantly, it’s because of the gushing. I love it. Yes, that’s right– I keep making chocolate pie because everyone I’ve served it to has gushed about how amazing it is.
In fact, this Salted Bourbon Chocolate Pie was born because I didn’t want to disappoint the chocoholics I’d be serving, but wanted to switch things up from my original, non-bourbon chocolate pie.
If you want to try my other versions of this pie, check the recipe card notes.
Making Salted Bourbon Chocolate Pie
To make this pie, you don’t need amazing kitchen skills. On a scale from easy to difficult, it’s ridiculously easy.
But you don’t have to tell your friends that– go ahead and let them think you’re a chocolate-master.
You do, however, need about 4 hours to let your pie set up in the fridge.
Don’t forget to plan ahead.
First, you need a graham cracker crust.
I make this vegan graham cracker crust, but you can also use store-bought.
Next, pour heavy cream into a saucepan, and bring it to a boil over medium heat. Take the cream off the heat immediately, and pour in the chocolate chips.
Now stir, stir, stir until the chocolate is melted. Add the bourbon and vanilla, and stir again.
Pour the chocolate mixture into the prepared pie crust, and set it carefully into a level surface in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
Right before serving the pie, sprinkle some coarsely ground sea salt over the top of the pie.
Remember, with salt– less is more. Use about two pinches of salt over the whole top of the pie.
Serve this pie in small slices, about ½ or ⅓ the size of a regular pie slice, because this pie is RICH.
Enjoy your pie with some chocolate-loving friends, and spread the word to chocoholics everywhere.
Salted Bourbon Chocolate Pie
2 Weeks (Fridge), 3 Months (Freezer)
- 1 graham cracker crust
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream OR coconut cream
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 pinches coarsley ground sea salt
- In a medium saucepan, bring cream to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Add chocolate, and stir until creamy. Add bourbon.
- Pour chocolate mixture into the graham cracker crust. Set pie carefully onto a level surface in your fridge, and allow to set 4-5 hours.
- Just before serving, top pie with the salt.
- To serve- Cut slices VERY small. Think ½ – ⅓ a normal pie slice. Serve on its own, with berries, or whipped cream.
- Leftovers:Refrigerate leftovers for up to 2 weeks.Make Ahead / Freeze:After the ganache sets, wrap the pie tightly and freeze for up to 3 months. Move to the refrigerator a day or two before serving.
- Swap the liquor for liqueur: Swap the bourbon for amaretto or chocolate liqueur.
- Skip the liquor: Skip the bourbon, and use a little extra vanilla extract.
- Coconut Macadamia: Skip the bourbon, and toast unsweetened coconut and chopped macadamia nuts. Sprinkle the coconut and nuts on the pie before serving.