This easy vegan Roasted Grape Oatmeal is a flavor-packed, sweet and savory breakfast (or brunch) that’s ready in 30 minutes.
Let’s chat about grapes.
Yes, that’s right, those sweet little balls of juicy wonderfulness.
Leave them alone– they’re the perfect snack. Pop them in the freezer, and they become refreshing sweet and sour icy bites.
Let them ferment, and they turn into glorious, decadent wine.
Recently though, I’ve been grape-obsessed.
Not with plain, frozen, OR fermented grapes.
My current grape infatuation is with roasted grapes, grapes that have been heated in the oven until the juices sweeten and the grapes burst into a miraculously fabulous topping.
When you take those wonderfully roasted grapes, and use them to top a steamy bowl of steel cut oats– you get The BEST Oatmeal Recipe!
Really. Delicious. Oatmeal.
This recipe for roasted grape oatmeal is the perfect breakfast of hot, creamy oats topped with the flavor-packed grapes, all ready in about a half hour.
How to Roast Grapes
Start by roasting the grapes.
Remove the grapes from their stems, toss them in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and rosemary, and then lay them out on a foil-lined baking sheet.
Bake them for 25-30 minutes, or until the skins begin to blister and soften.
Eat More: Love roasted grapes? Try adding them to fish with this Seared Salmon with Rosemary Grapes!
Cook the Oatmeal
While the grapes are roasting, prepare your oatmeal.
I prefer steel cut oats, which take about 25 minutes to cook on the stovetop.
That means, yes– you guessed it– the grapes and oats will be finished at almost the exact same time!
Perfection isn’t always this easy, folks.
Stir the grapes, along with all of their juices, straight into your oats. Add a little sweetener (if you want to), and dig in to this hearty bowl of oaty goodness.
Roasted Grape Oatmeal
- 1 cup red grapes, taken off stem
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar See Recipe Notes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 sprigs rosemary, taken off stem
- ½ cup steel cut oats (Use gluten-free oats if needed)
- 1 ½ cups milk OR milk substitute OR water
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil. Toss grapes in balsamic, olive oil, salt, and rosemary. Spread onto baking sheet in single layer, and bake 25-30 minutes, until grapes begin to blister and burst.
- While grapes roast, bring milk to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Then, lower heat to medium and add oats. Simmer oats for about 25 minutes, stirring often.
- Divide oatmeal into 2 bowls and top with grapes.
- Leftovers: Oats do not keep well, but any leftover grapes could be refrigerated and used within 3-4 days.