This green bean salad with almonds is made with fresh green beans, toasted almonds, and a quick homemade honey mustard dressing. Serve it warm or cold for an easy side dish!
Green Bean Salad with Almonds
Do you have a favorite vegetable?
A “go-to green”?
I’m honestly not sure that I could pick one veggie over all the others– but I will say that I have eaten pounds upon pounds (upon pounds upon pounds) of green beans over the years.
I’m an equal opportunity green bean lover— I love them slow-cooked, fresh, and even canned.
I’ve even been known to eat an entire can of green beans as a snack!!!
When it comes to cooking fresh green beans, however, I’ve always been a little torn.
There’s no question– they’re DELICIOUS. But– most recipes tell you to blanch them in a large pot of boiling water, causing my inner lazy cook to moan and groan.
Recently, though, I discovered that there’s an easier way.
A faster way.
These green beans are quickly steamed in a large pan, making this green bean salad a FAST and EASY side dish.
Making Green Bean Salad without Blanching
To make this easy Green Bean Salad, start by trimming the pointed ends off your beans.
This is easiest if you line a bunch up in a row, and trim them in groups.
Next, heat a little oil in a large pan or wok, and sauté some diced garlic until it is fragrant.
Add a little water, let it come to a boil, and then add all the green beans.
Cover the pan, and let the beans steam for about 3 minutes.
Remove the lid, and let the beans cook a couple minutes longer.
If you prefer your beans to be extra crunchy, you can take them out of the pan right away. If you’d rather your beans be a little more well-cooked (but still have a crunch), let them cook the full 3 minutes.
While the beans steam and cook, toast the almonds in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Then, whisk together the mustard vinaigrette.
Remove the beans from the pan, toss them with the dressing, and sprinkle the almonds over everything.
Can I Make This Ahead of Time?
You sure can!
If you want the salad to be warm, you could prepare everything ahead, and cook right before serving.
If you want it cold (also delicious!), make it the day before and refrigerate it. If you want the almonds to be crunchy, add them right before serving.
As you serve this tasty bean salad, feel free to gush to all your friends about your undying love for this delicious green veggie.
Can I Use Canned Green Beans?
Sort of, but the cooking directions in this recipe won’t work for canned beans.
Try making this canned green bean salad instead.
Green Bean Salad with Almonds
- 1 lb fresh green beans
- 1 TB olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tsp salt
- ¼ cup almond slivers OR diced almonds
Honey Mustard Dressing:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅛ cup red wine OR sherry vinegar
- 1 TB yellow mustard
- 1 TB honey
- 1 tsp salt
- Trim the stems of the beans with a chef’s knife. Cut beans into 2″ – 4″ pieces, as desired, or leave whole if preferred.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan or wok over medium-high heat until the oil begins to shimmer. Add garlic, and sauté about 1 minute, or until it is fragrant.
- Standing back in case of splash-back, pour the water into the pan. When water starts to boil, add the green beans, and cover the pan. Allow beans to steam for about 3 minutes.
- Uncover pan, and continue to cook beans for about 2 more minutes. Add salt and toss green beans. Remove from heat.
- Lightly toast the almonds in a nonstick pan for 2-3 minutes. Use a plastic spatula to stir the almonds until they begin to brown and are fragrant.
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the honey mustard dressing.
- Add green beans to a serving dish, discarding any remaining liquid. To make ahead of time, stop here. Refrigerate until you're ready to serve, and do not mix the beans with the dressing or almonds until just before serving. Use within 1 day.Pour dressing over the beans, add almonds, and toss to incorporate. Serve immediately.