These easy roasted whole carrots are served with a quick tahini yogurt sauce, and make a gorgeous and delicious side dish.
A few weeks ago, I was wandering through the produce aisle at the grocery store when some carrots stopped me in my tracks.
I am easily distracted by produce.
They were multicolored rainbow carrots with their leafy heads still attached.
They were exquisite.
I took them home, scrubbed them, looked at them lovingly, texted all my friends about the pretty carrots, felt sad when they didn’t seem as excited as I was, and then– got cooking.
These roasted whole carrots are served with an easy tahini sauce, and are a gorgeous and healthy side dish.
Do I Need to Peel the Carrots?
No! In fact, in my opinion, they taste better when you don’t peel them.
Just make sure you scrub the skins before cooking.
And of course– if you prefer peeled carrots, go right ahead!
Can I Use Regular Orange Carrots?
Of course you can!
Where Can I Find Heirloom Rainbow Carrots?
They should be in the produce section at your usual grocery store, but they might only show up during peak carrot season (late spring and fall).
It’s easier for me to find them with the organic produce.
Can I Cut The Carrots Instead of Roasting them Whole?
Yes! Just make sure to keep an eye on them– if you cut them into thinner pieces, they’ll probably roast more quickly.
Other Sauces for Whole Roasted Carrots
I like the savory flavor that the tahini adds to the sweet whole roasted carrots. These carrots are also delicious with the same yogurt sauce recipe without the tahini.
If you prefer a sweet topping for your carrots, try serving them with honey butter or make maple roasted carrots.
Can I Use the Carrot Tops?
Yes! Try using them in this carrot top chimichurri.
Roasted Whole Carrots with Tahini Sauce
- 20 whole carrots, tops removed Cut any extra-thick carrots in half lengthwise
- 2 TB olive oil
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 lemon, zested + juiced
- 2 tsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Arrange carrots in a single layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil. Sprinkle red pepper flakes and salt over the carrots.
- Roast 20-25 minutes, or until carrots are tender. Turn carrots after 10 minutes.
- Mix together all tahini sauce ingredients. Taste sauce, and add more tahini if desired.
- Serve carrots whole with sauce on the side.