This vegan-friendly reishi mushroom recipe uses reishi mushroom powder for an earthy, sweet and savory chocolate milk.
Sometimes, after a particularly strenuous workout at the gym, I like to treat myself.
My version of treating myself is to wander into the health food store down the road, and try something new from their ever-expanding drink cooler. Sometimes I grab a new flavor of kombucha, and sometimes I just grab whatever looks best, without really reading the label. Or the price tag.
And that is how I found myself drinking a $5 bottle of vegan chocolate milk. (Seriously, $5 chocolate milk. Now I check the labels.)
But guys– it was a DELICIOUS bottle of chocolate milk! It was earthy, it was lightly sweetened– and it had reishi mushrooms in it.
(Weird? Yes. Delicious? Also yes.)
And so, when I started to see reishi mushroom powder popping up here and there, I knew what needed to happen. This reishi mushroom chocolate milk needed to happen.
What Is Reishi Mushroom Powder?
Reishi mushrooms are a type of edible mushroom that grows wild in hot and humid areas. It can be eaten and cooked fresh, but recently it’s been showing up in powdered form.
Are Reishi Mushrooms Healthy?
Reishi mushrooms are being touted as a “miracle food,” but most of the studies are inconclusive. One thing’s for sure though– it adds a complex, enjoyable flavor to chocolate. And that’s a win in my book.
Interested in learning more about the benefits (and possible side effects) of using reishi mushrooms regularly as a dietary supplement? Check out this Healthline article.
How to Make Reishi Mushroom Chocolate Milk
For this chocolate milk, just mix everything together! I like to use a blender, but you can also whisk, whisk whisk until it’s all blended up. And then, drink up and enjoy!
Want more CHOCOLATE drinks? Try these:
- Chai Latte with Chocolate (vegan-friendly)
- French Hot Chocolate with Salt (vegan-friendly)
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Milkshake
Reishi Mushroom Chocolate Milk
Makes 2 small servings, or 1 large glass. Recipe is easily doubled or tripled.
- 8 oz milk or non-dairy milk Works especially well with coconut milk
- 2 tsp cacao or cocoa powder
- 2 tsp maple syrup, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp reishi mushroom powder
- 4 ice cubes (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a blender, and blend until smooth.Alternatively, whisk or stir together everything but the ice cubes, and pour over ice if desired.
- Serve immediately, or store in the fridge for up to a week (or for the expected life of the milk).
- Blender vs Whisk / Spoon: This mix will blend more smoothly in a blender than with a whisk or spoon. Chocolate Settling In the Glass: As this drink sits, the chocolate will settle. If making ahead, stir again before serving.