These savory, vegan-friendly stone-ground Crock-Pot Grits are cooked in a slow cooker while you sleep. Top them with green onions and diced tomatoes, or cheese and a runny egg. (Or all of the above!)
Do you love grits? Personally, I adore grits, and would be happy eating them at any time of day. I have a special place in my heart, however, for grits that are ready for me to eat when I wake up in the morning.
(Who am I kidding? I love any food that’s ready for me when I wake up!)
Sometimes this happens when the husband takes pity on my pitiful, sleepy self, and makes breakfast for me. Other times, however, it happens when I throw (literally– THROW!) food into the slow cooker before bed.
(Okay, you’re on to me. I’m not nearly coordinated enough to “throw” food… I “pour” it).
Can I Use Instant Grits?
No. You may be thinking, “Grits don’t need to cook overnight! Grits come in tiny packets and cook in 5 minutes!”
Well, my friends, you need to try stone-ground grits.
These grits have more flavor and texture than instant grits, much in the same way steel cut oats taste different from instant oats. Trust me on this one- the texture is less mushy, and the flavors are more pronounced.
Sadly, stone-ground grits do not cook in 5 minutes– on the stove top they take about 25 minutes– but it’s worth it! If however, you don’t time to stir a pot of grits for 25 minutes in the morning, the slow cooker is your friend!
How to Cook Grits in a Crock Pot
These vegan-friendly Crock-Pot Grits are prepared at night– you can be cooking grits in a slow cooker while you sleep the night away! Simply add the ingredients to the slow cooker at night, and dig in when you wake up.
Top them with whatever topping you prefer– diced green onion and diced tomato, or a runny egg and cheese. (Or– go crazy and add ALL the toppings!)
Another option: Use this Crock-Pot Grits recipe to cook the grits while you’re gone at work all day, and then top it off quickly with shrimp. It’ll give you a quick Shrimp and Grits!
*Note: If you’re having trouble finding stone-ground grits, I like the kind at Trader Joe’s.
- 1 cup stone-ground grits (I use Trader Joe's Stone Ground Grits. Don't use instant grits or polenta).
- 2 cups milk or milk substitute
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- 1 1/2 TB butter or coconut oil (or more to taste)
- black pepper to taste
- diced green onions
- diced tomatoes
- runny eggs
- sharp cheddar cheese, goat cheese, or your other favorite cheese
- hot sauce
- Spray or brush oil into slow cooker basin. Don't skip this step!!!
- Add ingredients and cook on low 6-8 hours. Check when you wake up- if it looks watery, stir and let it cook a few more minutes on high while you get ready for your day (depending on the type of milk or milk substitute used, the grits may cook at different rates).
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with desired toppings.