This warm toasted oats cereal (muesli) is made with rolled oats, chopped nuts, and dried fruit, and is a delicious and hearty camping breakfast. Make it ahead of time at home or at the campground!
What’s the fastest breakfast ever?
Cereal, of course.
It is a rare day, however, when I start my morning with a bowl of my beloved Cheerios.
You probably already know why.
Some cereals are delicious, but only leave you full for… maybe an hour?
This toasted oats cereal is different.
It’s both filling and delicious, and it’s my favorite camping breakfast to eat before a long day of hiking.
What Is Muesli?
Toasted oats cereal is also called muesli. It’s made with rolled oats, nuts or seeds, and fruit.
What Makes This Cereal a Good Camping Breakfast?
This cereal is toasted in a pan, not in the oven, so you can make it on the go with a camping stove. We use this Coleman Classic Propane Stove.
Additionally, this recipe is small-batch, and meant to serve two.
You can definitely multiply the recipe, but if you want to make very large batches, it’s easier to toast the oats in an oven (like in this homemade breakfast cereal recipe).
And finally, this toasted oats recipe has a little more oil, nuts, and fruit per serving than my other muesli recipe.
The extra calories will help energize you before a long hike.
How to Make Toasted Oats Cereal
Start by heating oil in a large, heavy pan.
Next, add the oats and chopped nuts.
Toast the oats, stirring constantly.
The oats will start to turn golden as they cook.
When they darken, turn off the heat and stir in the maple syrup.
Next, add the dried fruit and stir again.
Can I Use a Different Sweetener? Or Skip the Sweetener?
Yes, you definitely can!
This recipe also works well with honey or agave syrup, so use what you have on hand.
Keep in mind that the maple syrup will help bring out the sweet flavors in the toasted notes. If you totally skip the sweetener, the flavor might be slightly less delicious.
Cereal Milk For Camping
If you’re camping without a way to refrigerate milk, can you still enjoy cereal?
Toasted Oats Cereal (Camping Breakfast)
- 12" cast iron skillet
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 cup rolled oats Use gluten-free certified if needed
- ¼ cup chopped nuts or seeds
- 2 TB maple syrup Or sub agave or honey
- ¼ cup dried fruit (like raisins or dried cranberries)
- To Serve: milk or non-dairy milk substitute
- This recipe can be prepared at home on the stove-top or at the campground on a propane camp stove. Add oil to a large heavy pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the oats and nuts.
- Stir constantly for about 5-7 minutes, or until the oats begin to turn golden. Take care to stir often to avoid burning the nuts.As soon as the color turns golden, turn off the heat and add the maple syrup. Stir until incorporated.
- Stir in the dried fruit.
- Serve the cereal with either cold or warmed milk.Serve right away, or store in an airtight container for about a week.
- Oats, Pecans, Maple Syrup, and Dried Cranberries
- Oats, Almonds, Honey, and Dried Blueberries
- Oats, Walnuts, Maple Syrup, and Dried Figs
- Oats, Maple Syrup, Toasted Coconut, Cacao Nibs or Chocolate Chips (Add the cacao nibs or chocolate after the cereal cools)