This decadent shrimp fra diavolo is made with an easy, homemade spicy tomato sauce, pasta and shrimp. Perfect for date night!
Who else is trying to recreate lots of take-out style meals at home this year?
Guys, I adore shrimp fra diavolo.
When I see this spicy shrimp pasta dish on a menu, I order it. It’s fabulous.
Recently, I got ahold of some jumbo gulf white shrimp, and this dish seemed like the perfect way to use it!
Love shrimp? Learn about how to buy shrimp and the difference between wild and farmed shrimp. Then, try making mini shrimp tacos, shrimp and grits appetizers, homemade shrimp cocktail, and a shrimp rice bowl.
What is Fra Diavolo?
Fra diavolo means “brother devil” or devil monk,” and refers to a spicy Italian pasta sauce.
The sauce is generally served with pasta or seafood. Or both, like this shrimp recipe or this scallop fra diavolo.
What Size Shrimp Should I Use?
Use whatever size you like best!
Small, bite-size shrimp will be easier to distribute throughout the pasta. Large, jumbo shrimp (like the ones pictured) should be served on top of the pasta.
Either way, aim for about four ounces of shrimp per person.
How to Thaw Frozen Shrimp
If your shrimp are frozen, you can thaw them in the fridge for about a day. But that only works if you plan ahead!
I generally thaw shrimp in a cold water bath in the sink for 10 to 20 minutes.
How Spicy Is This Shrimp Fra Diavolo?
It’s definitely spicy! Fra diavolo sauce is supposed to be spicy!
If you were ordering take-out, this would be about a medium or a hot, depending on how hot your chili flakes are.
That said, you can make this less spicy by using fewer chili flakes.
How to Prep This Meal Ahead of Time
This meal might seem a little overwhelming at first, especially if you’re short on time.
There’s three components: the sauce, the pasta and the shrimp.
If you plan ahead, you can make the sauce ahead of time and simply reheat it when you’re ready to prepare the meal.
How to Make the Fra Diavolo Sauce
Start by adding olive oil, onions, red chili flakes, and sea salt to a large pan. I use this Lodge 12″ carbon steel skillet.
Cook the onions until they soften and then add garlic.
Add tomatoes, water and dried oregano.
Bring the sauce to a simmer and continue cooking until the sauce thickens, about 20 minutes.
Next, toss freshly cooked spaghetti in the sauce.
Use gluten-free spaghetti if you prefer.
Making Shrimp Fra Diavolo
Finally, it’s time to make the shrimp.
Toss the shrimp in garlic, paprika and sea salt, and place them in a hot pan.
Cook a minute or two per side until the shrimp are opaque.
Finally, plate the pasta and divide the shrimp between the plates.
Serve your meal with a spinach mandarin orange salad and a glass of red wine.
Shrimp Fra Diavolo
- large heavy skillet (12-inch minimum)
Fra Diavolo Pasta:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tsp red chili flakes Use less for a milder sauce
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 lbs fresh tomatoes (diced) or 28oz can diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ lb spaghetti Use gluten-free spaghetti if needed
- 8 oz shrimp (4oz per person) Shells removed + shrimp deveined. Tails on or off, as desired.
- 1 TB olive oil
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp sea salt
Fra Diavolo Sauce:
- Add the oil, onions, chili flakes and salt to a large, shallow pan. (Use a 12" pan or larger.) Cook the onions over medium heat until they begin to brown (~5 min). Add the garlic and cook 1 more minute, or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, water, and oregano to the pan. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer the tomatoes for 20-25 minutes, or until most of the water has evaporated and the sauce has thickened.Taste the sauce and add more chili flakes, salt, or oregano if desired. Simmer 1-2 more minutes if you added more seasoning.
- While the sauce simmers, bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Cook spaghetti according to package directions.Add the cooked spaghetti to the pasta sauce and toss to coat.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium-high heat.Toss shrimp in garlic, paprika and salt. Add shrimp to the pan and cook 1-2 minutes per side, until shrimp are opaque.
- Divide pasta between two plates, and then divide the shrimp between the dishes. Serve immediately.