Love the outdoors, but need new shoes to tackle the trails? Here are my top picks for the best women’s hiking shoes and boots.
Love to hike?
And over the years, I’ve found that one thing can make or break a hiking trip.
Bad shoes can make your hike painful. They can even ruin your trip.
Sadly, if you don’t live near a major outdoors store (like REI), women’s hiking boots can be tricky to find in stores, and shopping online without recommendations can be frustrating.
This collection of my favorite women’s hiking shoes and boots will give you a place to start when you’re ready to shop.
This isn’t just a collection of reviews from other sites– I’ve worn all of these shoes!
Want more gear ideas? Check out my favorite camping gear for women!
What Makes the Best Women’s Hiking Shoe?
Keep in mind that everyone’s feet are different, so my favorite shoes and boots might not work perfectly for you.
Here are a few things to keep in mind as you shop.
- Look for a wide toe box, especially if you’ll be hiking downhill often. If your shoes touch your toes, it can cause rubbing or blistering when you hike downhill.
- If you tend to twist your ankle (or have badly sprained an ankle in the past), look for a mid-rise boot for extra ankle support.
- Flexible shoes are great (and they’re my preference), but if you’re carrying a heavy backpacking pack a rigid-bottom shoe will provide more support for your legs and back.
- If you’re hiking over rocky terrain or rock scrambling, make sure to buy a shoe with excellent traction so that you don’t slide around on the trail.
- If you’re planning on hiking on ice and snow, you might want to invest in a pair of crampons. For the best fit, crampons should be worn with mountaineering boots, not standard hiking boots.