These healthy crab fries are made with baked fries, and are loaded with crab meat, a little cheese, and a garlic yogurt sauce.
Servings: 4 people
- 6 ounces Dungeness crab legs (~3 crab legs), steamed and removed from shell
- 2 large Russet (baking) potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella (use more if desired)
- 2 ounces queso fresco (use more if desired)
- ¼ cup fresh chives, diced (or substitute green onion)
Garlic Yogurt Sauce:
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- ½ teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- juice from ½ lemon
Preheat the oven to 400ºF.Cut the potatoes into long slices, about ¼" wide and deep. Lay the fries in a single layer on an unlined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with Old Bay. Bake fries for 20 minutes, and then turn the fries. Bake 10-15 more minutes uncovered. (Bake time will depend on how crispy you want your fries.)Remove fries from the oven, and sprinkle with salt.Turn on the broiler. Grate cheese on top of fries, and broil about 2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Remove fries from the oven, and transfer to a serving dish. Add crab meat and chives.Mix together all the ingredients for the yogurt sauce, and serve on the side or drizzled over the fries.
Recipe is easily doubled or tripled for a crowd. Yields 4 servings or 2 generous servings.
Cook Time: Keep in mind that the cook time DOES NOT include steaming or shelling the crab. Crab can be prepared up to 3 days ahead of time and refrigerated.
Crab is typically sold either pre-cooked or alive. This recipe assumes that you are using pre-cooked crab legs.
Need more help prepping the crab? Learn more here: How to Steam + Crack Crab Legs
- Substitute 1 can of high-quality crab meat for the Dungeness crab legs.
- Use "fried fries" instead of baked. Add the Old Bay seasoning after you fry the potatoes.
Calories: 281kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 1372mg | Potassium: 741mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 452IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 277mg | Iron: 2mg