Seared Ahi Tuna with Ginger Soy Sauce
This Sesame Seared Ahi Tuna with Ginger Soy Sauce is a delicious, simple to prepare dinner that's ready in about 20 minutes!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Servings 2 people
- 2 ahi tuna steaks (~4oz per person)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (use gluten-free soy sauce if needed)
- 1 TB shaved ginger (or ginger paste)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp wasabi OR 1 tsp horseradish and 1/2 tsp crushed mustard seeds
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 green onions, sliced, plus more for garnish (optional)
- 1 TB sesame seeds
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (juice of 1 lemon)
Blend vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, wasabi (or horseradish and mustard seeds), sugar, and green onion. Taste sauce, adjust seasoning if necessary (adding more soy, sugar, ginger etc if preferred).
Marinate tuna steaks in blended sauce for about 10 minutes. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top of tuna at end of marinade.
Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan (like a cast iron pan) on high, until oil is very hot.
Reserving marinade for later, sear tuna for 15-30 seconds per side, then remove from pan.
Reduce heat to medium and allow pan to cool slightly. Add marinade to pan with lemon juice, and stir with a wooden spoon. If sauce is too thick for your liking, add more lemon juice. Remove sauce from heat.
Slice tuna in thin long strips. If desired, leave about 1/2" at one end of the tuna steak uncut, and serve fanned on a plate with ginger soy pan sauce and extra green onion to garnish.
- Sweeter Sauce: Add 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice to the sauce
- Make it a Salad: Add 1 cup orange juice to the final pan sauce, and use the pan sauce as a warm salad dressing. Remove sauce from pan, and add about 4oz fresh spinach to the pan. Toss 30 seconds, until wilted. Serve tuna over the spinach with the warm dressing.
Calories: 279kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 60mg | Potassium: 147mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 220IU | Vitamin C: 17.7mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 2.3mg