Navratan Vegetable Korma
This recipe for Vegetable Korma is sweeter than classic Korma, and is filled with fruit and other sweet vegetables. This curry is vegan-friendly, made with easy-to-find ingredients, and has step-by-step directions.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 2 TB Olive oil OR ghee, divided
- 3 tsp garam masala
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 15oz can fire-roasted tomatoes OR 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 2 cup peas
- 1/3 cup roasted cashews, diced
- 1/3 cup dried fruit (pineapple, raisins, golden raisins)
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 cup milk OR coconut milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream OR 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt, to taste
- To Serve: jasmine rice, basmati rice, or naan
Heat 1 TB olive oil in a large pan or wok over medium-high heat. Sauté the mushrooms for 3-4 minutes, until the mushrooms brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
Heat remaining 1 TB olive oil in the same pan. Add onion, garam masala, and chili flakes. Sauté 3-4 minutes, until the spices are fragrant and the onions are translucent.
Reduce heat to medium. Add tomatoes and let them simmer 4-5 minutes. Add sweet potatoes, and cover pan. Add the mushrooms and peas to the pan. Simmer about 15 minutes, until the potatoes have softened and the peas have cooked through.
Add cashews, peas, dried fruit, turmeric, milk, and cream to the pan. If you prefer the color to be more vibrant, add more turmeric. Salt to taste.
Serve while still warm with a side of rice.
Leftovers:Store in the fridge and use within 3-4 days.
Garam Masala note: Not all garam masala mixtures are the same, and the color of the spice will change the color of the dish. If your spice mixture is dark brown, it likely includes a lot of cinnamon. Swap half the garam masala with smoked paprika.
Calorie Count Adaptions:
- To simplify the recipe, you could eliminate the mushrooms.
- You can substitute the mushrooms or peas used here for vegetables you already have on hand. Other vegetables that work well in this recipe include sweet bell pepper and green beans.
- Rice accounts for 210 calories per 4-count serving. To lower the calorie count, serve with less rice or without rice.
- Heavy whipping cream accounts for 103 calories per 4-count serving. Leave out, or swap with milk to lower the calorie count.
Calories: 430kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 671mg | Potassium: 700mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 5811IU | Vitamin C: 33mg | Calcium: 134mg | Iron: 3mg