Pan-Seared Black Cod (Sablefish) with Brown Butter
This decadent pan-seared black cod (sablefish) features fish cooked in butter and then topped with a brown butter, cayenne and honey sauce.
Servings: 2 people
- 8 ounces sablefish (black cod) Or substitute salmon
- pinch salt, pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided Or use extra olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cayenne (optional)
- Make sure to pat the fish dry. Wet fish won't develop a crispy skin.
- Make sure to let the fish rest at room temperature for about 15 minutes. Cold fish tends to stick to the pan.
- Test the fish with a thin metal spatula before attempting to flip. If the fish doesn't release, give it another 30 seconds and try again.
- If your butter and oil begin to smoke, lower the heat slightly.
- Have all your ingredients prepared before beginning so that you can watch the fish carefully while it cooks. I prep everything while the fish rests at room temperature.
Calories: 288kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 83mg | Sodium: 445mg | Potassium: 352mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 421IU | Vitamin C: 29mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 1mg