How to Prepare Butternut Squash:
- Peel: Use a vegetable peeler to remove the skin.
- Halve: Using a large chef’s knife, insert the pointed part of the knife into the squash, and carefully rock the knife back and forth. When the squash begins to split, push down on the back of the knife and cut through the squash.
- Remove Seeds: Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and stringy pieces.
- Dice: Using the large chef’s knife, dice the squash into ½″ pieces.
- Tip: Make sure to use a sharp, large chef’s knife. Avoid using a small knife or a dull knife. Alternatively, use a meat cleaver to carefully split the squash.
- Both the butternut squash sauce and the ricotta mixture can be prepared one to two days ahead of time. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- The entire lasagna can be assembled (but not baked) up to one day ahead of time. Refrigerate until ready to use, and then add five minutes to the covered cook time.