Blackened Rockfish Tacos
These rockfish tacos are made with blackened fish cooked under a broiler, a quick lime yogurt sauce, and an easy homemade mango salsa (using fresh or frozen mango).
Servings: 2 people
Lime Yogurt Sauce:
- ⅓ cup plain yogurt (whole milk preferred)
- 1 lime, zested + juiced, juice divided Half the lime juice will be used for the mango salsa
- 1 cup diced mango (~½" pieces), fresh or frozen If using frozen, allow mango to thaw before making salsa
- 2 sprigs fresh mint, removed from stem
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar (optional)
- 2 teaspoons paprika or smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 6 ounces rockfish
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, divided Or another high smoke-point oil
- 4 tortillas (corn or flour) Use corn tortillas for gluten-free tacos
- a few drops of oil (for brushing the pan)
Extra Toppings (Optional):
- 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
- hot sauce
Make the lime yogurt sauce:Mix together the plain yogurt, lime zest, and half the lime juice. (Reserve remaining lime juice for the salsa.) Make the mango salsa:Add mango, mint, and remaining lime juice to the basin of a food processor. Roughly chop.Both the lime yogurt sauce and the mango salsa can be prepared up to 2-3 days ahead of time. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Yields: Four tacos. Serving size estimates two tacos per person.
Spicier Tacos: As written, this recipe does not make spicy tacos. (They are well-seasoned, but not hot.) To increase the heat level, try adding a jalapeño to the mango salsa, or use extra cayenne in the blackening spice.
Nutrition Information: Assumes corn tortillas were used. Does not include optional extras.
Calories: 583kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 408mg | Potassium: 1194mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 2201IU | Vitamin C: 50mg | Calcium: 136mg | Iron: 2mg