Toasted Oats Cereal (Camping Breakfast)
This warm toasted oats cereal (muesli) is made with rolled oats, chopped nuts, and dried fruit, and is a delicious and hearty camping breakfast. Make it ahead of time at home or at the campground!
Servings: 2 people
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 cup rolled oats Use gluten-free certified if needed
- ¼ cup chopped nuts or seeds
- 2 TB maple syrup Or sub agave or honey
- ¼ cup dried fruit (like raisins or dried cranberries)
- To Serve: milk or non-dairy milk substitute
This recipe can be prepared at home on the stove-top or at the campground on a propane camp stove. Add oil to a large heavy pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the oats and nuts. Stir constantly for about 5-7 minutes, or until the oats begin to turn golden. Take care to stir often to avoid burning the nuts.As soon as the color turns golden, turn off the heat and add the maple syrup. Stir until incorporated.
Stir in the dried fruit.
Serve the cereal with either cold or warmed milk.Serve right away, or store in an airtight container for about a week.
Cereal Variation Ideas: Use these ideas to create different types of cereal.
- Oats, Pecans, Maple Syrup, and Dried Cranberries
- Oats, Almonds, Honey, and Dried Blueberries
- Oats, Walnuts, Maple Syrup, and Dried Figs
- Oats, Maple Syrup, Toasted Coconut, Cacao Nibs or Chocolate Chips (Add the cacao nibs or chocolate after the cereal cools)
Calories: 377kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 10mg | Potassium: 339mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 45mg | Iron: 2mg