Coconut French Toast
This Coconut French Toast is made with thick, dense bread, crusted with coconut, smothered in fruit, and drizzled with honey.
Servings: 4 people
- 4 eggs
- 2 TB sugar
- 1 TB vanilla
- 1 ½ cups milk OR milk substitute
- ½ baguette, sliced (For small French baguettes, serve 4 slices per person. For larger Italian baguettes, serve 2 slices per person.)
- 4 TB butter or coconut oil
- ½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Optional Toppings: more coconut, honey, maple syrup, berries
In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, vanilla and milk until blended.
Preheat pan over medium heat with half the butter.
Set bread in milk mixture, and allow to soak 3-5 minutes. (Soak-time will depend on how stale your bread is and what kind of bread-- A French baguette can soak longer than Italian loaf. Don't let the bread start to fall apart.)
Place the soaked bread in hot buttered pan, and coat the upward facing side with shredded coconut. Cook about 3 minutes, until golden brown, and then flip. Add the rest of the butter to the pan. Cook about 3 more minutes.
Serve hot with desired toppings.
Calories: 402kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 201mg | Sodium: 401mg | Potassium: 282mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 685IU | Calcium: 162mg | Iron: 2.1mg