Ahi Tuna Steaks with Ginger Soy Sauce
These easy seared ahi tuna steaks are seasoned with sesame seeds and a ginger soy sauce marinade. This extra-quick main course is ready in 20 minutes!
Servings: 2 people
- 2 ahi tuna steaks (~4oz per person)
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup soy sauce (use gluten-free soy sauce if needed)
- 1 tablespoon shaved ginger (or ginger paste)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon wasabi OR 1 tsp horseradish
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 green onions, plus a handful of diced green onion tops for garnish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced (~¼ cup juice)
Blend vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, wasabi (or horseradish), sugar, and green onion. Taste sauce, adjust seasoning if necessary (adding more soy, sugar, ginger etc if preferred). Marinate tuna steaks in blended sauce for about 10 minutes. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top of tuna at end of marinade. Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan (like a cast iron pan) on high, until oil is very hot. Reserving marinade for later, sear tuna for 30-45 seconds per side, then remove from pan. Reduce heat to medium and allow pan to cool slightly. Add marinade to pan with lemon juice, and stir with a wooden spoon. If sauce is too thick for your liking, add more lemon juice. Remove sauce from heat.Slice tuna in thin long strips. If desired, leave about ½" at one end of the tuna steak uncut, and serve fanned on a plate with ginger soy pan sauce and extra green onion to garnish.
For gluten-free preparation: Use gluten-free certified tamari or coconut aminos instead of soy sauce.
- Sweeter Sauce: Add ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice to the sauce.
- Make it a Salad: Add 1 cup orange juice to the final pan sauce, and use the pan sauce as a warm salad dressing. Remove sauce from pan, and add about 4oz fresh spinach to the pan. Toss 30 seconds, until wilted. Serve tuna over the spinach with the warm dressing.
Calories: 279kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 60mg | Potassium: 147mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 220IU | Vitamin C: 17.7mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 2.3mg